Saturday, October 17, 2009

Hunter's Minestrone for the soul.

Detox.
Days 1-2
Protein powder + rice milk
Lemon juice + water,
Garden variety supplements

Days 3-7
Green salad with a lemon vinaigrette
*Recipe for vinaigrette: lemon juice, honey, s/p (to taste),
minced garlic (optional), olive oil
(The proportion for acid/vinegar to oil should roughly be 1:2)

But it's dineLA week. So I made an exception last night and had a birthday dinner with A & C (October and November birthdays, respectively) at the newest member of the Chaya family - Chaya Downtown. A prix-fixe 3-course menu in celebration of the 25th Anniversary of the original Chaya Brasserie in Beverly Hills.

For starters, grilled asparagus + focaccia + kalamata olive tapenade + parmigiana reggiano. (Please excuse the bad lighting.)

The entree - red snapper-wrapped scallops + grilled vegetables +
basmati rice + lobster curry au jus.
And finally, for dessert, panna cotta + candied dates + caramelized figs + balsamic reduction.

*As you can see, I tried as best I could to stick to my "strict" diet of vegetables and grains. Well, all except for the succulent scallops and the rich panna cotta.

For a few hours, my only role was enjoying an extra-special night out on the town with my 2 favorite ladies. But I came face-to-face with my reality when I couldn't get a hold of my dad. Between LA and Monterey Park (where I had to pick up my cell phone), and between Monterey Park and Rowland Heights (where I tried calling my dad approximately 20 times), I kept imagining the worst. Deep down inside, I knew that my dad was probably just out or perhaps he had fallen asleep with the phone on silent. But years of living with my parents has conditioned me to believe that the worst always happens when I'm not there. My dad did call me back eventually, but not before I projected all my stress, frustration, fear and panic on BP. (Sorry, BP.)

So I did what I always do. I cooked. Remember that recipe for Hunter's Minestrone that I wanted to try? (Courtesy of Tyler Florence - http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/hunters-minestrone-recipe/index.html) I did it. And it was good.

The beginning stages: chopped carrots, onion and celery for the soffritto. Sweet Italian sausage to be sauteed in sage+rosemary+thyme-infused olive oil. And crushed tomatoes and cannellini beans.














Chicken broth infused with smashed garlic cloves (later discarded). Sauteed sausage and soffritto.














Combine all ingredients, including mezze rigatoni pasta. Oh and a rind of parmesan for good measure.


And serve - along with grilled (cheddar) cheese for my dad.

My dad liked the Hunter's Minestrone and the grilled cheese. It was our first dinner together under our new circumstances... just me and my dad. I know that this is just the beginning of many dinners together like this. And I'm sure that with each dinner, it will get easier. And good food always helps.

To A... Thank you for my first apron. I can't wait for all the oil splattering and tomato sauce splashing to come.









4 comments:

  1. I feel sorry for you because you are on a detox. I should do one myself, but i'm too fat to even try and i know that it'll just make me mad. I'm going to try to make that minestrone too. The addition of the grilled cheese along with the soup looks like a good combo. speaking of grilled cheeses, Sue made some last night with sliced tomatoes on Hawaiian Sweet bread. It was really good. Now I'm hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're so hawaiian with your hawaiian bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good curry info. i'll be sure to use it if i ever make it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. the minestrone was sooo goooood! i'd pay for it if i have to!!!

    ReplyDelete