Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Brussels sprouts.

I begin this entry with my sincerest apologies to my few but loyal readers...

Tis the season of finals. I just finished my 2nd final today, and before I begin studying for my next final, which is oh-so-conveniently tomorrow(!), I thought I might take a break and update my blog. Much to my despair, I have not been cooking as much lately due to the advent of the reoccurring nightmare that is finals season. There's been a lot of reheating and take-outs, so not much to blog about there. Now, Thanksgiving... I can blog about.

Thanksgiving Day was spent with my family. My mom and brother came home from Phoenix and Berkeley respectively, by air and by rail respectively. The house was full again.

We're not turkey people. More importantly, I'm not a turkey person. So my mom decided to make prime rib, while putting me in charge of the sides. I was very excited about this. Prime rib meant that I could make non-stuffing, non-yam, non-green bean casserole dishes. So I decided to be adventurous and channel my inner Giada de Laurentiis, Ina Garten, and for the very first time - Michael Symon.

Fried Brussels Sprouts with Walnuts and Capers

This was my very first time making AND eating brussels sprouts. Growing up, my mom never forced brussels sprouts on me, like the other fictional moms do in storybooks and cartoons.
Needless to say, I didn't really have much of an opinion about brussels sprouts, but for some reason, I always felt that I would like them. I was inspired to make this dish because one of the chefs on the show, "The Best Thing I Ever Ate," had raved about Michael Symon's brussels sprouts. The title of the show explains it all. I had to try it. Survey says? It was good - the red wine vinegar, Serrano chilies, capers and minced anchovies cut through the oil from the fried brussels sprouts. But in my opinion, there's just too much oil. From the fried brussels sprouts, the fried capers, the fried parsley leaves and of course, the olive oil from the dressing. Oil overdose.

Caramelized Butternut Squash


I had been meaning to try butternut squash in another recipe ever since I had used it in making my Beef with Butternut Squash Stew (see previous entry below, titled "Giada"). I caramelized the squash using brown sugar and melted butter. My mom really liked this one. I, on the other hand, felt that roasted butternut squash is still too starchy for my taste. I like it better simmered in broth.

Spicy Parmesan Green Beans and Kale

Of course, I had to include a recipe from the new Giada cookbook that I had bought. And I'm glad I did. Green beans, kale, onion, cremini mushrooms, red pepper flakes, Parmesan and lemon juice. What's not to like? Of all the side dishes that day, I like this one the best. And I even re-used the leftovers and tossed it with some tomatoes and pasta. Even better.

Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes

This is an Ina Garten recipe that I've used so many times now - it's officially a classic. So easy. I know that what I'm about to say is very American of me, but it must be said: sour cream makes everything better.

Prime Rib

This year, I learned that Costco sells prime rib. I also learned that it's good to let it marinade overnight. I also learned that it takes forever to cook. I also learned that the line between medium rare and medium is very very thin.

My plate

Yum.

Dinner was good. We all went to watch "The Blind Side" afterwards. And the next day, everybody returned whence they came.

I can't wait for winter break. But for now, it's time to hit the books.

2 comments:

  1. you're, like, an actual cook! I just fry eggs and roast cauliflower. i'm so impressed! and impressed that you had the neurons left to blog last night! Also, that brussels sprouts dish looks delicious. They're also completely awesome if you roast them, cut side down. Life-changing, in fact.

    ReplyDelete