Monday, May 24, 2010

김치.

Kimchi - it's what Koreans are made of.

There are many different types of kimchi: bae-chu kimchi (napa cabbage), o-ee so bae gee (cucumber), kkak doo gee (radish/ daikon), and the list goes on. This week, I learned to make bu-chu kimchi (chives) and dong chi mi (radish in water). According to my mom, these two are the easiest to make; minimal discretion involved as far as salting and seasoning are concerned. As much as my mom tries to instill an independent spirit in me, she tries to hand her recipes down to me whenever she has the chance. I think she wants to believe that I will feed my own family homemade kimchi rather than one of the many packaged ones at the Korean markets. Whilst maintaining a full-time professional career, of course.

Washing the chives...

The finished product:
Waiting for the salt to settle in...

The finished product:
And now we wait for it to ferment into smelly, pungent, potent goodness...

3 comments:

  1. One level higher than these would be chong gak kimchi and ggak ddu gi. :)
    btw, homemade ones taste soooo much better than the store ones. Which is why I NEVER touch kimchi at restaurants. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowwww, Buchu kimchi and dongchimi kimchi! Yum! I am going to try to make some too <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love both kinds!
    when i know i'm going to be staying at home.

    ReplyDelete