Sunday, September 9, 2012

Is it fall yet?

Once in a while, I'll order a cup of clam chowder if the restaurant's homage to New England or San Francisco is particularly convincing, but usually, I feel like soups at restaurants taste like it's been poured out of a can.  This one was not.


Tyler Florence's Roasted Tomato Soup with a Parmesan Crostini.  The recipe calls for a mix of heirloom tomatoes and plum tomatoes, and for that reason, I think, the soup is less tart than the watered-down ketchup that they (the soup industry) try to pawn off as tomato soup.  Oh and that shine?  That's from a chunk of butter.  And you thought Paula Deen was the only culprit responsible for America's losing battle to type 2 diabetes.

There's just something warm and inviting about a bowl of soup.  Like cashmere sweaters, hot apple cider (or chocolate for you weirdos), and a crackling fireplace.  Alex, I'll take "Things That Make Us Nostalgic For Fall" for $200.  Too bad it was 100 degrees today.  I definitely picked the wrong day to roast tomatoes in a 450-degree oven.  

On that note, I love fall.  I love the subdued colors, the forecast of rain and gloom, and the sound of my boots on the wet concrete.  Plus, it's perfect for some more roasted tomato soup.  Can't wait for it to be fall.  

No comments:

Post a Comment