Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Like pudding.

Gye-ran jjim
Translation: steamed eggs

There is an art to making gye-ran jjim. The ratio of eggs to water. The temperature at which you steam it. The bain-marie used to cook the eggs to the right consistency. The patience and the will power to not open the lid to check.

So did I figure out all of this on my own? Of course not. This all started with a recipe published in The Korea Times (English version). Do I read The Korea Times regularly? Of course not. I am the Queen of web browsing, and while researching on my health care law paper topic, I ended up in The Korea Times. (Food for thought: Apparently, South Korea is banking on the highly-anticipated boom of the medical tourism industry.)

Gye-ran jjim is comfort food, Korean-style. The truth is: I'm not a big fan. The way I feel about gye-ran jjim is the way I feel about chocolate. I don't care for it, but I'll eat it. For my dad, however, gye-ran jjim is laced with nostalgia for his childhood in Korea, along with sausages (the Korean kind - processed with more fillers, like flour, than meat), Samyang Ramen and Hershey's chocolate. It's all very post-Korean-War/GIs-handing-out-American-candies sort of thing.

Anyways, I made it. The ingredients are simple: eggs, water and salt. I just wanted to achieve the right consistency - more pudding/custard-like than just overcooked/ coddled eggs. The result? "Tastes just like pudding," said my dad.

3 comments:

  1. i love the part where you were researchign health care law paper topics and somehow mysteriously, you found your way to the korea times.. hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude... i love gye-ran jjim, but when you described it as pudding, it kind of grossed me out hahaha...

    And i know why you don't eat chocolate, but i still don't get it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know. i was worried about that. it's just that the chawan-mushi (japanese gye-ran jjim) is like pudding. not like chocolate pudding. but like custard. it's yum! not like the overcooked, bubbly ones they give you at korean bbq restaurants. :P

    ReplyDelete