Friday, March 19, 2010

Grilled cheese.

This is not your average grilled cheese sandwich:


None of that Kraft Singles crap. We're talking about quality ingredients: caramelized shallots, hand-sliced country French bread, and EMMENTALER cheese. Toasted in butter, then broiled in the oven. Golden brown on the outside. Bubbly and gooey on the inside. Served with a side of arugula tossed in a lemon vinaigrette.

Months ago, I had found this recipe in the L.A. Times. I knew that my brother would love it. (Like his sister, he, too, is pretentious and loves Gruyère cheese.) I could not wait to make it for him. And today, I finally got my chance - my brother came home for spring break.

The original recipe calls for Cantal cheese. But with no luck at both Vons or Trader Joe's, I have concluded that one can only find Cantal cheese in France. So it came down to a coin toss between Emmentaler and Gruyère. It was an excruciating decision, but let me just say that Gruyère is good, but Emmentaler is goooooood.

My brother loved it. I am so happy that my brother is home.

6 comments:

  1. welcome home, lotion.
    i LOVE grilled cheese!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh narsy. Beautiful. Aside from the chocolate thing, we really are so culinarily compatible. Broiling is a great idea, especially with thick bread like that. And, I've had Cantal, and I think emmentaler is probs just as good (though I'm not on board with it being better than gruyere; my guess is that you haven't had the AOC cave-aged vieux gruyere. But I am a fierce gruyere defender to the end.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks so frash. we will come over if you make that. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what could've made it better? Thick slabs of sugar cured bacon. Gottem!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sugar cured bacon?!?! is that an island thing? bring some here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I HATE Kraft Singles.. This kind of grilled cheese, I would LOVE!!! hehe. make me some, please?

    ReplyDelete