Monday, March 29, 2010

Eiswein. (A tribute to E.)

E and I met freshman year of high school, in Mr. Knox's Geometry class. We were seated, one behind the other; her last name is "Shih" and mine is "Shin." After four years of high school together, our friendship reached new heights when we decided to dorm together during our first year of college. We became closer upon realization that we shared not only OCD tendencies, but also an interest in everything foreign, which is why we both decided to study abroad for the duration of our senior year.

It has only been four years since our days of carefree living (she in Hong Kong and yours truly in Tokyo) and backpacking (she in various parts of Southeast Asia and yours truly in Japan). But we've come a long way since then. She is now in Ann Arbor, Michigan, working on a Master's degree to change the world, one underdeveloped nation at a time. I am now in Los Angeles, California, working on a law degree to change the world, one wronged person at a time.

Last Christmas, E brought me a bottle of Peller Estate Vidal Icewine from her trip to Niagara Falls. I was so excited to try it, but just as reluctant to pop the cork. Only a very special occasion could justify the devirginization. This past weekend was my mom's birthday, so in honor of her birthday, I brought out the good stuff. For those of you who have not had icewine before, icewine is a dessert wine that is made by fermenting grapes that froze on the vine. The sugars of the grapes are extremely concentrated, producing a very sweet wine, but in small amounts. E let me know that you're supposed to pour modest servings and enjoy the wine in small sips. Needless to say, we finished the entire bottle in one sitting. (I'm noticing that I have a habit of doing this.) A very happy birthday to me.

If any of you are traveling to the Niagara Falls any time soon, please let me know.

2 comments:

  1. yay! you finally tried it! isn't it so much better than anything your;ve had?!

    our stories/lives are so amazing...we should write a book. haha.

    btw, what did you end up making?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG... I have not been a good roomie/bestie... I haven't read you blog in a while, clearly...

    But I have TONS of ice wine in my house... my dad gets them as gifts from his clients when he's in French Canada... shall I bring you some?

    P.S. your entries are getting more and more pretentious... =P

    ReplyDelete